Friday, November 27, 2009

One Little Girl's Thankful List


One of the little girls I teach is a nine year old profoundly deaf child, for whom language and speech are difficult. I gave her the sentence, "I am thankful for . . . . . ", hoping for 2 or 3 responses to complete it. Instead, this is the list she gave me:
  • everybody
  • life
  • home
  • school
  • family
  • all my friends (followed by a smiley face)
  • foods
  • bed
  • teachers
  • my backyard
  • my peach tree
  • computers
  • tickles
  • seasons
  • books
  • my birthday
  • the day
  • clothes
  • TV
  • video games
  • a rainbow
  • colors
  • chairs
  • tables
  • singing (remember, she is deaf but has a cochlear implant)
  • balloons
  • my bike
  • camping (she has never been camping, yet)

Now that the rush of preparation for Thanksgiving is over, I thought it might be good, to ponder and consider for what I am thankful. I am thankful for this student. Her simplicity; her dreams and experiences listed above seem so refreshingly profound to me.

5 comments:

WildBound said...

love it.

TexasBoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bethany said...

So sweet. She is probably thankful for you as well.

Canyonsrcool said...

Seems what we're all thankful for doesn't really change as we get older.

Desertbound said...

I'm thankful you shared that with us. Loved it.