Monday, December 13, 2010

And the winner is.....


The Artist's Magazine 2010 Student Competition
1st Place, Landscape/Interior

This is the write up in the magazine:
A simple watercolor landscape painted while entertaining his grandkids was the start of Robert L. Nelson's art journey. To his surprise, his daughter framed and hung the piece on the wall. After that, he began painting lessons, only to suffer a heart attack a few months later. "Feeling very mortal", this 67 year old teacher of hearing impaired children now takes lessons and workshops to learn everything he can.
The impetus for the painting, Imperial Point, Grand Canyon was a rare scene he and his wife, Judy, witnessed--the Grand Canyon from the north to the south rim during a soft rain--which Judy captured with her camera. Nelson wanted to render both the atmospheric perspective and the foreground detail. " The biggest surprise in painting the scene was the resulting drama in the clouds," he says, "and I'm pleased with the effect of the fog over vegetation and land forms." Nelson describes his quest to keep improving. "There's so much more to painting than the mechanic of putting pigment on canvas."

Here is the link to the progression of the painting on my art blog:

I do have a few of the limited edition giclee' prints available. Contact me for prices.

5 comments:

WildBound said...

wonderful!!!
I'm so proud of you! :)

Sheri said...

Congrats!! It really is beautiful!!

Pulcheria said...

Is IS beautiful and you are gifted. Another moment I'm excited to say I know you! Love ya!

Julie said...

I love this picture. You are an amazing artist. Congratulations!

Desertbound said...

Woohoo!!! I am so glad that ONE of the priceless moments that day was captured in such a special way!